From the broadest perspective, my research interests center on inter- and intra-personal dynamics of close relationships, drawing theoretically from interdependence theory. To understand the proximate causes of social behavior, and the outcomes and implications thereof, I believe a researcher must examine aspects of both the person and the situation. To that end, I study how individuals’ personal characteristics (i.e., those that are not dependent upon specific relational contexts) and relational characteristics (i.e., those that pertain to interpersonal dynamics) reciprocally influence each other and combine to predict relationship outcomes, most notably dissolution processes and health outcomes.
- Close Relationships
- Health Psychology
- Interpersonal Processes
- Motivation, Goal Setting
- Fingerman, K. L., Gilligan, M., VanderDrift, L. E., & Pitzer, L. (in press). In-law relationships before and after the wedding: Husbands, wives, and their mothers-in-law. Research on Human Development.
- Lehmiller, J. J., VanderDrift, L. E., & Kelly, J. R. (in press). Sexual communication, satisfaction, and condom use behavior: A comparison of friends with benefits and romantic partners. Journal of Sex Research.
- VanderDrift, L. E., Agnew, C. R., Harvey, S. M., & Warren, J. (in press). Whose intentions predict? Power over condom use in heterosexual dyads. Health Psychology.
- VanderDrift, L. E., Wilson, J. E., & Agnew, C. R. (in press). On the benefits of valuing being friends for non-marital romantic partners. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships.
- Fingerman, K. L., VanderDrift, L. E., Dotterer, A., Birditt, K. S., & Zarit, S. (2011). Support to grown children and aging parents in Black and White families. The Gerontologist, 54, 441-452.
- Lehmiller, J. J., VanderDrift, L. E., & Kelly, J. R. (2011). Sex differences in approaching friends with benefits relationships. Journal of Sex Research, 48, 275-284.
- VanderDrift, L. E., & Agnew, C. R. (2012). Need fulfillment and stay-leave behavior: On the diagnosticity of personal and relational needs. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 29, 228-245.
- VanderDrift, L. E., Agnew, C. R., & Wilson, J. E. (2009). Romantic relationship commitment and stay/leave behavior: The mediating role of dissolution consideration. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 35, 1220-1232.
- VanderDrift, L. E., Lehmiller, J. J., & Kelly, J. R. (2012). Commitment in friends with benefits relationships: Implications for relational change and safer sex practices. Personal Relationships, 19, 1-13.
- VanderDrift, L. E., Lewandowski, G. W., & Agnew, C. R. (2011). Reduced self-expansion in current romance and interest in relationship alternatives. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 28, 356-373.
- Health Psychology
- Introduction to Psychology
- Social Psychology
Department of Psychology
409 Huntington Hall
Syracuse, New York 13244-2340